|Geplunderde Joodse wijk Jeruzalem 1948|
Had a look at the scene of devastation and destruction amongst the Armenian houses at the bottom of the playground which consist of one or two rooms and are a narrow wedge between us and the Jewish Quarter. These houses were occupied in turn by Jewish and Arab forces and each carried out a certain amount of destruction with the result that not a single house was left intact. Some were completely destroyed, others burnt and furniture wrecked; not a single house remains fit for habitation. It made us realize all the more how much we had to be thankful for when we saw this scene of destruction on our doorstop.
We heard the whistle and later the explosion of a dozen mortars as they came over about 9 p.m. and exploded in the vicinity of Christian Street and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.